Saturday, August 11, 2012

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

When my daughter first wanted me to make this recipe pinned from Betty Crocker for Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies I admit I thought NASTY! I don't know why, Mint Chip is my favorite ice cream! One thing that turned me off about this recipe was the bagged mix. I hate the fake, dry taste that comes from bagged cookie mixes. Plus I hate paying $2-4 for a bag of flour, sugar, and powdered vanilla flavoring! After reading some of the reviewers comments I decided to make a few changes before I even tried the original recipe. I used my own recipe for drop sugar cookies. I bought a 4 oz box of Andes Candies and  used the part of a 50% semi sweet chocolate bar that would equal 4oz. First try was a huge hit! These cookies are delicious! My version of this recipe made 2 dozen 3 inch cookies.

In a small bowl combine 1 1/3 cups flour, 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. 

In large bowl combine 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 c (1 stick) of softened butter. Beat with mixer until light and fluffy. 


Beat in one egg. 

Add in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon of mint extract (NOT peppermint!), and 8 drops of green food color. Mix well.

Dump in 4 oz chopped Andes Candies and 4 oz of chopped semi sweet chocolate bar. If you can find semi-sweet chunks and Andes bits in your store... use that by all means. My store didn't have them in stock today. The candy and candy bar war cheaper than the already chopped stuff also!

The dough really looks like the mint chip ice cream!!!!` 

Drop tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart... these guys spread out! I only put 3 rows of 3 on each cookie sheet.

 Bake at 350 degrees F for 11-12 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet while still quite warm as they tend to stick while cooling!

No comments:

Post a Comment