Saturday, August 11, 2012

Cherry Pie Cookies

This recipe caught my eye the first week I started pinning on Pinterest! I used to love the Hostess fruit pies when I was a kid! This looks just like a piece of my childhood in an adult size portion (AKA smaller!) However I hesitated to try this recipe, posted by the bakery at King Orchards, as it makes over 2 QUARTS of filling! Who needs that much? So I decided to brave it and just use canned filling. (gasp... horror... yes I do use short cuts sometimes!) This recipe makes about 12 "cookies"

Add 1 teaspoon of almond extract to the can of pie filling and still well. Why bother to get out a bowl? There is nothing else to mix!

 Allow the prepared pie crust to sit out for 5 minutes so it unrolls nicely. I buy the name brand product with 2 rolls per box; you could buy the store brand but I find their flavor a little flat. Cut as many rounds as you can with a 4 inch diameter cookie cutter.

Reroll the dough and cut again. Repeat this step until the dough is too small to reroll. Repeat these steps with the other crust from the box.

 Place about a tablespoon of pie filling on half of the rounds.

Cover with the remaining half of the rounds.

Use a fork to seal the edges. I used a little too much pie filling so mine oozed out... try no to do that! 

Mix one egg and a tablespoon of water WELL to make an "egg wash"

Use a pastry brush to paint on the egg wash. You should not have globs of egg wash... just a nice thin coating.

Poke the tip of a knife into the pies to create vent holes. Sprinkle a bit of sugar over each pie. If you can find it, coarse sugar would be best! Bake at 400 for 12 minutes!


1 comment: